Practice Safe Housekeeping
Staying Safe/Secure Housekeeping Outside the Home
- Remove any clutter, debris, or trash from your property. If there are items you simply must store in areas of your yard that are visible from the street, do it as neatly and as organized as possible
- Make sure to fix broken or cracked windows immediately upon discovering. Regularly check and replace burned out exterior lights and make sure they are clean so that the maximum light shines through
- NEVER store anything next to fences as that can create a “boost” for someone to hop over. That also goes for windows
- Trim trees and bushes back from windows and doors to keep line of sight open
- Just remember to keep it clean! You and your family will be happier and feel more secure by completing these simple tasks
Practice Safe Housekeeping Inside the Home
- Injuries due to falls are one of the most common household hazards. In fact, one out of five older adults who falls results in a broken bone or a head injury. Wet floors, slippery stairs, bad housekeeping including scattered toys all create the potential for falls
- Secure rugs to avoid slipping and wipe up pooling liquids on slick surfaces immediately. Use caution when entering or exiting a shower/tub to avoid slipping
- Install fire alarms on all levels of your home, and check and change the batteries at least annually. Consider investing in a smart smoke detector. This alarm uses Wi-Fi to provide real-time updates and remote monitoring right on your smartphone or other mobile device
- Keep at least one fire extinguisher in your home—and check it annually to verify it is in good working order and up to date. Keep a multi-purpose fire extinguisher handy in the kitchen or near the fireplace. Read the directions before an emergency occurs
- Be sure to keep small toys, hard foods like nuts or candies out of reach of children. Pay special attention at adult gatherings where children can more easily sneak something unnoticed. Learn CPR/First Aid
Looking to join the G4S team?
Job-seekers, click to visit our Careers page!